Sunday, February 14, 2010

Happy Valentine's Day!

It has been a crazy couple of weeks. I am settling down from making 300 chocolate heart pops for 1 order, along with all of he other treats I had to make for sale this past week. Wow, did the product fly! I don't think anything was left after a few hours. It was like that at my office as well as my wife's.! In addition to having to prep all the chocolate, pretzels and popcorn crunch, I worked on my first ever cereal treats sculpture! It was part of a 1st birthday cake for my co-worker's daughter, Riley. Riley loves Elmo, so the design I came up with was Elmo popping out of a bag of popcorn. Here's the finished cake:




Elmo was sculpted from cereal treats and then covered in modeling chocolate - another first for me! Once the chocolate was on, I used some sculpting tools to etch the fur design, Elmo was then airbrushed in a deeper shade of red to give a finished look. The cake was 2 tiers stacked on top of each other and covered in fondant. The stripes were hand painted to give a cartoon-ish effect. The popcorn is all gumpaste made one kernel at a time. I took pictures of the popcorn process and will hopefully be posting my first tutorial in the coming weeks. I am gearing up for a few more cakes in the next week, including an I
i-phone and another corporate cake. I am also anxiously waiting for the news that Sharon Zambito's latest dvd is out so that I can get my grubby little paws on it :) Until next time, Happy Caking!

No comments:

Post a Comment