Sunday, July 19, 2009

Holy Cow!!!


Nobody can imagine how happy I get when a client tells me to run with an idea! A very good customer sent me an email last week asking if I could squeeze in a birthday cake for her "Grammie" who was turning 96. She originally wanted a 3-D cow, but I suggested she let me try my hand at a Topsy Turvy cake. I had been chomping at the bit ever since my Topsy Turvy DVD came a few weeks ago. The tutorial, by the very talented Sharon Zambito over at SugarEd Productions , walks you through making this whimsical cake. I took all of the steps she laid out and went to town. The only thing I did differently was use buttercream under the fondat instead of ganache - next time, I'm using ganache!!!

The cake was two tiered and consisted of vanilla bean cake with vanilla buttercream and chocolate with chocolate buttercream. Both cakes were covered in white fondant and then I added the black cow print. I bordered each tier in hand rolled fondant beads, keeping with the theme. Next to the greeting on top of the cake is a handmade gumpaste cow, dressed in a lavender dress and holding a bouquet of flowers.

So without further adieu, here's the finished cake:




And a close-up of the top:


Got a really busy week coming up, wedding cake to do and some cake truffles to make along with a movie premiere (won passes to see The Ugly Truth, starring the very hot Katherine Heigl), but I promise next week I'll be back and I'll fill you all in on how the Wedding cake turns out! Have a great week!

1 comment: